Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Stories

The Christmas Card

My grandchildren, Little Political Spheres 1 and 2, and the camels
playing the wise men, for this year's Christmas card

Every year for about 35 years I have made our Christmas card, folded so I can print our letter on the back. I like getting people’s Christmas letters, but I also like to have something to hang on the bannister with the other cards. So, if other people feel that way, this was a solution to that.

I always do something depicting part of the Christmas story: the manger scene, the shepherds, the wise men, the angels. And I’ve used my grandchildren in photos, sized to fit the front of the card, since the birth of our first granddaughter eleven years ago. Fortunately, the kids are still cooperating. In fact, they are much easier to wrangle at 11 and 8 than they were when they were littler.

This year we learned that a coworker of son Political Sphere had a ranch with a lot of animals. They raise emus and alpacas for profit, but they also have donkeys, dogs, dozens of cats—and two camels.  So we arranged for a photo shoot. It’s a two-hour drive for me, and it was a rainy day, but we were running out of days, so we went on faith. The rain let up just enough late afternoon that we could quickly do the job. Much thanks to the good people who let us come there, and so willingly helped us out.

The large camel, Annie, was very well behaved and played her part well. The younger camel, Drago, was a bit more challenging. We had to keep trying different arrangements, including some photos without him. Then we thought to bring him behind. His reins are being managed by the daughter of the ranch family, ducking down behind our kids. And it turned out that the very last photo I took in that arrangement was the one we used. Other than a bit of color saturation and lighting focus, I didn’t have to do any photo editing.

So I’m sharing that for your Christmas enjoyment.


The Music

One other way I celebrate Christmas is with music. About a decade and a half ago I had the opportunity to lead a choir that combined the congregations in our stake (a geographical area) with a Catholic church located across the street from our main building. That annual combined choir tradition has been going on for something like 27 years now, ever since our building was built and the Catholics invited us to join them. Sometime after my era they got an extraordinary musician, Debbie Siebert, to lead our stake, and also a new music director at the Catholic church, who have both been doing it for over a decade now.

About five years ago, a new stake was created, which separated us from that stake, and we’ve missed singing with the combined choir. But this year, because of COVID-19, there had to be something other than the traditional large choir meeting together. Debbie arranged to do a virtual choir number. This took a huge amount of advance planning, and also a huge amount of work for a video editor. But it also made it so she could invite some of us alumni to participate.

Well ahead of Thanksgiving we were given the music, marked with director’s notes, plus audio tracks of our part with accompaniment and all parts with accompaniment (the two directors did all the voices for those tracks). So we learned the music on our own, recorded ourselves singing it—we had earphones to hear our track, so only our voice alone was recorded—and then we sent that in for editing.

The song is an arrangement of “The First Noel,” one we’ve done before, so not too difficult to learn. However, it has several sections done in unison. That sounds easy—and maybe it is for higher voices, but for lower voices it is often difficult.

I used to sing mezzo, even though I’ve always been a real alto, but I had a very good range, because of training. In high school I didn’t move from soprano to alto until my last semester, when I did the alto solo for a mass we were performing. Singing, at least for me, with allergies and probably just some physical limits to my instrument, is something of a physical workout, especially for the higher notes. But it used to be that I sang frequently enough, with choir or solo performances coming up enough that I kept myself in shape. But we haven’t met for choir since last spring.

I found myself needing to cram my vocal conditioning for the Christmas season into just a couple of weeks. Some days the vocal freedom would allow me to do the high notes (which are not all that high), and other days I got nothing. Or a screech. Too much tension. And all the years of training and practice just didn’t seem to get me there. Besides the allergies and need for daily training, it might just be age; there’s probably a good reason the Tabernacle Choir retires singers at age 60.

We tried scheduling our time to record a full week ahead of our deadline, but I couldn’t do it that day. I just got something that sounded like laryngitis, even though I wasn’t sick. Sleep, food, exercise—everything makes a difference, and I had done something wrong—or didn’t do something I needed to. One day that final week, I did have a voice—but that didn’t coincide with time Mr. Spherical Model could help record me. Then we were within two days of our deadline, so I went ahead and tried. I had to just go silent on the upper half octave. The lower notes sounded pretty good all along, but I just couldn’t get anything higher than an A. It would do, but it felt kind of awful. Like I had failed.

That was Friday. On Saturday morning I woke up clear, and went upstairs to have Mr. Spherical Model record me before I ate or did anything else that would make me lose it. And I did it. I’m glad I’m mixed in with a whole choir of singers, instead of having that performance be a solo, but I think it was a good contribution.


"2020 Virtual Christmas Choir, The First Noel, sung by combined choirs of two faiths"
I am bottom row, second from left in this screenshot

Little vocal miracles like that have been happening to me since junior high. So many times I had to sing while ill, unable to control my voice on my own, but with God’s help, I was able to do the performance. There have also been a few when I sang with adequate training and nothing in the way, but the stage fright caused by so many out-of-control moments have still required that I have to trust God to allow the beautiful sound to come. In fact, this has happened so often that singing is literally a way I come to feel in touch with God.

There’s this part in the movie Chariots of Fire when Eric Liddell, a preacher who is also a runner, says something like, “I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure.”

That is how I feel about singing. I am accomplished, although not a great performer. But sometimes the sound and ability show such beauty, I can feel His pleasure. Music, and singing especially, brings together body and spirit, which I think is what we have this body to learn to do. Music gives me a sample of God’s joy, which we should plan to experience everlastingly in Heaven.

I hope you enjoy this video, which was made with much love and care. Merry Christmas!

I'm unable to embed, so click on the link below the screenshot, or here, to watch.    


No comments:

Post a Comment