Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Week, Part III

[If you saw this a week ago, yes, it is the same. I don't know why my attempts to schedule posts go awry, but I'm reposting Part III, on the day it should have posted, instead of on the same day as Part I.]

This is the third in a three-part series leading up to Easter. I hope these posts will help make your Easter celebration more meaningful this year.

We’re doing more music again today.

I’m a big fan of The Piano Guys videos. I stood for three hours last summer to see them in concert, in a standing-room-only venue. “The Mission/How Great Thou Art” is their latest video, just out a couple of weeks, filmed in Brazil, at the Christ the Redeemer statue. No words, but powerful music.


 

 
Back in the late 1970s I was in one of the several Brigham Young University choirs when we performed the oratorio The Redeemer, by Robert Cundick, for the first time. I’ve always loved the final piece, “He Is the Root and the Offspring of David,” with words coming from Revelations 22:16-17. It not only celebrates the resurrection, but the approaching Second Coming. The music is stunning. It’s also challenging, which my little choir is finding. But our intrepid little group is trusting that the Lord will help us do it well enough to bring the Lord’s spirit to our Easter celebration. Here is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir doing it.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment