Friday, November 2, 2012

Doing Enough

We’re very near the end of what has seemed like an endless presidential campaign. While I’m happy to see the campaign end, I have enjoyed the hope for change that the campaign has represented. I believe we have a one-time-only opportunity to stop the transformation from freedom to tyranny. (See Spherical Model for definitions, so you’ll understand I’m not using the terms as an exaggeration.)

I have a political friend on Facebook who has been very dedicated this last couple of years to doing all she could—even though she came around to Romney later than I did. I’ve thought seriously about her question: am I doing enough? I hope it’s enough. It’s more than I’ve done in any previous election cycle.
I’ve been active in a local tea party since well before the 2010 election, and used the odd year to get acquainted with state and local officials, working for legislation we favored in our state. I’ve worked several times as a poll watcher (and I’m scheduled to volunteer again this coming Tuesday). I started this blog, which, while not intended to be political in the sense of candidate support, does deal with the ideology of politics, and I have tried to be clear and honest in my opinions about candidates based on principles.
I have yard signs out. I’ve donated (what equates to approximately a widow’s mite) more than once—more than ever before. And I’ve been praying for our country and trusting in the Lord to give us a chance to recover the blessings of freedom our forefathers fought for.
So, with these few days left, what more should I do?
Here in Texas, there’s a strong sense that conservatives will win big. The Democrat sweep of Harris County in 2008 was partially corrected in 2010, and that is likely to be completed this election. If there were the fair and effective Democrat judge or elected servant in place, they will be swept out with the rest. My advice to them is, if they truly are fair and effective, why are they aligning themselves with a party essentially bankrupt of civilizing principles? But, to those few, I wish them well.
Experts on such things point out that by now everyone who will vote has decided their opinion of the president and the job he’s done. No amount of energy put into his background, his dishonesty—even his horrific failure followed by cover-up surrounding the Benghazi attack this past month—will sway anyone further.
I was watching for the jobs report to come out this morning. It is not surprising; the unemployment rate ticked up slightly, so unemployment is, as it has been all but following last month’s questionable report, above the rate when Obama took office. That coincides with a report that more jobs were created than predicted (171,000 jobs), so some people are saying, “See, the momentum is just getting underway,” apparently unaware that we ought to be seeing double that if we’re actually bouncing back. In reality, the report confirms that things are bad but not continuing to sink even further. If it is correct that the recession ended its downward drop in June 2009, then we should have bounced back up to where we started in about the same amount of time it took to fall—so, generously giving it till June 2010. Yet here we languish in 2012. So it’s clear this administration does not know how to get us out of a recession—or even how to get out of the way so that the bounce back happens on its own.
What people need to know, if they’re undecided (can anyone still be undecided?) is whether there’s an alternative to the doldrums we’re in. And is Romney that alternative? So, it there is something left to be done, it is to reiterate the reasons we can trust Romney to lead us out of the high unemployment, poor business climate, outrageous budget deficits, and crippling regulations.
I spent several posts last winter, during the primary race, focusing on Romney, “Measuring Mitt.” Part I just began mentioning Romney, so parts II-VII are most worth a re-read:
·         Part II: inaccuracies of media and opponents
·         Part III: exemplary character
·         Part IV: flip-flopping and other distortions
·         Part V: definition changes
·         Part VI: Massachusetts health care
·         Part VII: record as predictor of success
There are other days I’ve written about Romney, particularly after the debates. I hope they have been useful. Another good source is radio host Hugh Hewitt, who put together a list of 100 reasons to vote for Romney. (Listen here, read the first third here.)

Photo found here
Another last-minute assurance that you’re making the right choice with Romney is his speech in Wisconsin earlier today. If it’s true that the positive, forward looking, optimistic candidate wins, then he’s letting us know that’s who he is:
We are four days away from a fresh start. Four days away from the first day of a new beginning. My conviction that better days are ahead is not based on promises and hollow rhetoric but solid plans and proven results.
And an unshakeable faith in the American spirit.
If there is anyone worried the last four years are the best we can do, if there is anyone who fears that the American dream is fading away, if there is anyone who wonders whether better jobs and better paychecks are things of the past, I have a clear and unequivocal message: with the right leadership, America will come roaring back.
We are Americans. We can do anything.
The only thing that stands between us and some of the best years we have known is lack of leadership. And that’s why we have elections.
This Tuesday is a moment to look into the future and image what we can do…to put the past four years behind us and start building a new future.
You saw the differences when President Obama and I were side-by-side in our debates. He says it has to be this way. I say it can’t stay this way. He’s offering excuses; I’ve got a plan. He’s hoping we’ll settle. I can’t wait for us to get started.
Americans don’t settle. We build, we aspire, we listen to that voice inside that says, “We can do better.” A better job; a better life for our kids; a bigger, better country.
That better life is out there, waiting for us. Our destiny is in your hands.”
There’s more. It was powerful. I am so very much looking forward to beginning this better future with this much better leader. If we have done enough to turn to God, to rely on Him, and to do our part to show the depth of our dedication, it will be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment