Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

One of the proper purposes of government is protection of our sovereignty and borders. Many thanks to current and former members of the military for carrying out this necessary service!  

Joseph Ambrose, WWI veteran,
in 1982, at age 86,
source: Wikipedia
One of my sons, Economic Sphere, is currently talking with an army recruiter, so we may have a soldier in the household very soon. I’m proud of him, so let me brag a bit: he took the aptitude test this week and placed above the 99th percentile. With a college degree he is hoping to do some work in his field (in part to quell his mother’s fears), and maybe eventually move into intel, like my dad did. He’s good at strategy; he can beat me at chess in three moves if I don’t put on my best game. I’m thinking he will be an asset to the country. 

A little Veterans Day history: It was the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the Germans signed the Armistice (truce) that ended World War I. The rarely right Woodrow Wilson declared celebrations on that date in 1919. Seven years later Congress urged Calvin Coolidge to hold a similar recognition on that date. And then, in 1938 the act was passed to make November 11th an annual holiday, called Armistice Day. It wasn’t until 1954 that all veterans were honored on this day, and that’s when the name changed. 

My Dad in his WWII uniform
I rather doubt there are still Armistice Day veterans around. 1918 was the year my dad was born; he served in WWII and passed away two Christmases ago at the age of 91. But, since it turned out that WWI wasn’t “The War to End All Wars,” we continue to have veterans to honor, and it’s important that we salute them for their sacrifice and service. 

So today I put the flag out. And I’m using this space to say thanks.




Bert, the superhero bomb sniffing dog,
currently serving with my nephew
in the US Coast Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment